2011 Solemn High Mass in honor of the Virgin of Mercy
ST ROCCO, Cleveland — From the archives of 2011. A Solemn Mass was celebrated on this very day, September 24, at St. Rocco Church on Cleveland’s west side. It was a Mass honoring Our Lady of Mercy, patroness of the Mercedarian Friars. The Order of Mercy was founded in 1218 by St. Peter Nolasco.
The sacred ministers of the Mass were Fr. Michael Donovan O.de M., celebrant; Fr. Bede Kotlinski OSB, deacon; and Br. David Spencer O. de M., sub-deacon. Brother David eventually, Deo gratias, was ordained a priest in the Mercedarians.
At the end of the liturgy, a ceremony was held for those laypersons who were in the Third Order of the Mercedarians.
Click this link to read a little more about the connection between Our Lady of Mercy and The Royal, Celestial and Military Order of Our Lady of Mercy and the Redemption of the Captives (Latin: Ordo Beatae Mariae de Mercede Redemptionis Captivorum, abbreviated O. de M.), also known as the Mercedarians.
Interestingly, of local history, the Tremont neighborhood was home to Our Lady of Mercy Church, until 2010 when it was closed.
All images in the gallery below are copyrighted. Please use the contact form if you have any questions or requests to use the photographs.